Promises Made, Promises Kept
- Led the effort to establish the North Carolina Center for Health and Aging here in Western North Carolina with a $100 million dollar appropriation
- Supported legislation to create Business Incubation Authority to assist small business development
- Supported adjustments to the Community Development Block Grant criteria to assure WNC gets its fair share
- Funded economic development incentives to create jobs here in Western North Carolina, producing real results
- Worked to attract biotech industry jobs to the region, led Biotech symposiums in community colleges across the district.
Education & Children’s Issues
- Supported increased funding for More At Four and Smart Start early childhood education programs
- Supported pay increases for North Carolina Teachers
- Sponsored legislation to establish the Amber Alert System, to protect our children from abduction
- Backed funding for “Schools of Excellence”
- Introduced legislation to enhance civic education in our schools
- Increased funding for small mountain schools
- Created the “trout cities” designation with the Wildlife Commission to help mountain communities
- Sponsored legislation to create Grandfather Mountain State Park
- Sponsored the “Save Lake James” Legislation that created 4,400 acres of state parks and public game lands on the North Shore of the lake
- Developed specialty license tags to support the Blue Ridge Parkway and Appalachian Trail
- Requested Wildlife Resource Commission conduct trout management research
- Successfully sponsored and passed legislation to promote the preservation of farmlands
- Helped secure grants for major water and sewer projects all across WNC.
Fair & Responsible Government
- Stood up for state employee’s health care and cost of living.
- Doubled the Child Care Tax Credit and eliminated the marriage penalty – both are family friendly tax cuts for working people
- Expanded the estate tax exemptions by 50%
- Worked on many statewide efforts that grew our economy and expanded our revenues over a billion dollars without raising income tax, sales tax, or corporate tax rates.
- As Co-Chair of 2004 Flood Relief, I led the effort to provide $250 million of assistance to distressed mountain communities.
- Established Folkmoot USA as North Carolina’s official international festival and supported Folkmoot with a $100,000 grant
- Secured 1000 additional Community Alternative Program slots for the disabled across North Carolina
- Supported the NC Small Town and Main Street programs
- Worked for passenger rail service for WNC
- Facilitated work group to establish the 1776 Rutherford Trace as a National Historic Trail
- Helped secure four state heritage officers to assist with the work of the Blue Ridge National Heritage Area
- Helped secure the funds to keep the Western North Carolina tobacco market open
- Helped secure funding to build the WNC Livestock Market